Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back to Preschool

Today William and Nathan started back to school. It took me most of the evening yesterday preparing extra forms, gathering extra changes of clothes to be labeled in ziploc bags, and labeling other assortments of items "needed" for the first day of school. I felt confident that I was ready for the morning when I went to bed last night.


My day started a little off as I woke up not to my alarm but instead to Caden's voice at the top of my stairs. I quickly attempted to focus on the tiny clock on my cable box across the room and discovered I had slept through my 6:20 iphone alarm.  It was 6:45. Thank goodness, Caden is an early riser or we would have been in big trouble this morning. I made up for the lost time by not turning on his morning cartoons to speed up the eating and dressing process. Fortunately, he made it off to the school bus on time.

As soon as I walked back in the door from the bus stop, I hear Nathan. He must hear the door close, because he is always up when I come through the door. In the next two hours, I get the three of us dressed and feed and outside for "back to school" photos. We arrive at school on time. I need a stroller, not for Nathan, but for the bundles of items I am handing off to their teachers. We take William to class first.  I put  his lunch box in his cubby and he heads right into the classroom and starts and activity. No problem.

I'm dreading dropping off Nathan so I'm stopping to talk to anyone I see....walking slowly and hugging and kissing him every step of the way.

I have imagined that I will hear the sound of cats screaming when I open the door to the toddlers room, but I am pleasantly surprised to find only one child crying and he is beginning to get bored with his fit. Nathan grabs on to me tighter as he is now on to me....so I sit down on the floor and talk to his teachers as I wait for him to warm up to the room. It takes less than five minutes and he is off my lap and gathering his favorite toy...balls. Just in time as now it's time to go to the gym for playtime. I help him walk out the door. I'm looking for the rolling crib that they used last year to transport the babies from room to room and realize that he's outgrown the rolling crib. He'll be walking this year. My heart sinks. He gives me a mad face and a little cry as they pick him up and walk him to the gym, but he doesn't get half way down the hall before getting distracted and is off to play.

Today, was a busy day.... I run home. Check email and begin to look over our remodel plans when Dave says, :shouldn't you be going". I was having lunch with Caden at school today so I needed to get to the Chick Fil A to pick up his lunch. I arrive at school, sign in, head to the cafeteria and wait in the doorway.   Soon, here comes the Kindergarteners. Caden sees me and leads me over to his table and soon his classmates join us. He is lucky enough to have his two good buddies in his class.  The four of us get to talking and three of us are getting really silly. Soon, I notice that Caden is starting to nuzzle into me while eating his lunch. Poor guy is exhausted. However, I think this is really sweet as he's not embarrassed or overly excited to have me there. The thirty minutes pass quickly and then like clockwork, they are gone, out the door and onto other activities. Dave was on cafeteria duty today so we stopped by Caden's classroom for a quick peek before leaving. He is at his center table arranging tiny dinosaurs in color patterns. His teacher sees us and invites us in. Caden waves but stays at his table and continues working on his task. We love that he is not distracted by us. This is the benefit of Davey working from home.

The highlights of today were 1) when I picked up Nathan from school. I love watching the boys in their classrooms when they don't know I'm there.  When Nathan spotted me, he lit up, ran to me giggling and gave me a big hug. Melted my heart and made my day. The second highlight was at dinner when I asked William how his first day went. He said "preschool was dumb" but he made a new friend. Should be an interesting year....

No comments:

Post a Comment